September 21, 2015

In Focus: Erin Nøir

Off Duty

Should you suddenly develop a passion for black-and-white photography, look no further than the works of Manila-based photographer Erin Nøir to inspire you. The self-proclaimed "monochromaniac" discovered her love for the art form as well as words after finishing two pre-medical degrees in Science. Following the discovery, the black-haired beauty and former chief editor of Lomography's international magazine founded her own creative platform, Parallel Planets, where she together with a team of like-minded contributors publishes original contents of black-and-white photography and conceptual essays. When not overseeing the website, she manages Thousandfold, a contemporary photography studio in Manila, and self-publishes her photographs into a zine called MONO. We chat with Nøir to learn more about her multi-layered life.

You have a workshop coming up. What was the inspiration behind it?
Film is not dead! But in Manila, film is in its bedridden phase. Fewer and fewer photo laboratories offer film processing services, especially for traditional black-and-whites — and so I thought of hosting a series of workshops to keep DIY developing alive.

How did your fascination with black-and-white photography started?
My inclination with it seriously came about when I was living in Tokyo. I was broken-hearted but was also torn between feeling neurotic and elated because, hey, I was living in Japan. I diverted my sadness to the photographs that I was taking at that time but I didn't want them to hint of color, so I kept on shooting in monochrome. Black-and-white images illuminate a different kind of solitude and I find that fascinating. Since then, I have remained shooting mostly in black-and-white.

Why do you prefer monochrome to color?
Colors are complicated! And we already see in color by default, which is why to me, looking at black-and-white pictures is like phantasm — stripped off of hues, but not devoid of spirit.

What camera do you use?
Film-wise, I use 35mm cameras. Right now, it's the Konica Big Mini. Digitally, I have a Fujifilm X10. I also use my iPhone.

What was the most memorable photo you've ever taken, and why?
All the pictures that I've taken to date are memories that I intend to keep. It's hard to choose just one as the most memorable, probably because I haven't shot that photograph yet.

What is the most photogenic place you have travelled to thus far?
Tokyo, hands down.

Off Duty

Do you travel a lot for work and leisure?
I travel only when I have to and most of the time it's for my career as a photographer. Earlier this year, I went to Singapore for a collective photo exhibit that I curated: Façades: Neo-Noir Portraits. Before the year ends, I'll be flying to Siem Reap, Cambodia, to attend the 11th Angkor Photo Workshops.

What are some of your travel essentials?
When travelling, I like to keep things minimal. I carry easy sets of clothing: pants, tank tops, boots, and a jacket. And my cameras!

We love your hair! How do you take care of it?
Thank you! I'm so lucky to have natural straight, black hair so I just use the usual shampoo-conditioner combo everyday, and refrain from exposing my hair to harmful chemicals. I also cut my own bangs.

What do you do to unwind on your off days?
Catching up with my personal projects and developing my own films, both of which are still considered as work, but the latter is especially therapeutic to me. Otherwise, I just slack off and watch movies or catch up with my favorite TV shows, while eating junk food.

What are some of the best places to eat, drink, shop, sleep and take photos in Manila?
I like going on solo photo-walks and watching my boyfriend's bands play at live gigs. Unfortunately, the traffic is terrible here so I refrain from going around the Metro if it's not really needed. However, everywhere in Manila is the best place to drink because beers are super cheap here! The most photogenic part of Manila, for me, is Makati City at night.


Photos: Hanna Varela
© OFF DUTY . All rights reserved.