April 27, 2016

Painting Fadilah Karim

Photo courtesy of Fadilah Karim

Fadilah Karim is one of the most significant contemporary artists in Malaysia today. Since arriving on the scene through her acclaimed first solo exhibit in 2012 entitled "Vague," she has not only consistently produced brilliant works of art since then, but has also managed to amass a strong art following in the Asian region. This month, the artist is once again embarking on another solo journey after four years with the Johor native's sophomore exhibit, "Secret Lies," presented by Kuala Lumpur's TAKSU gallery. And with the sold-out show's opening set for tomorrow, we recently paid the enigmatic artist a visit at her combined home and workspace in Ara Damansara for a little chat about art, her inspirations, and her city.

What were your first thoughts when you woke up this morning?
What to eat. I'm a big eater and I can't do work if I'm hungry.

Since you love to eat, can you recommend any good restaurants in your city, Kuala Lumpur?
My go-to is Berjaya Restaurant in Bangsar. I love to eat their mee soup with jeruk lada.

How did your interest for painting start?
It started when I was a kid. I love to draw, so I participated in many coloring contests until I was in primary school. I started painting in college art and learned oil painting when I reached Standard 6. I can't remember much, but the first painting I ever did was a still life painting of fruits in a basket.

Any artist you admire?
A lot of artists inspire me but one of my favorites would have to be painter Lucian Freud. I especially love his painting called "The Painter Surprised by a Naked Admirer" from 2004.

What is your favorite color and how does it describe you as a person?
My favorite color is black maybe because it simple, and so am I.

Defying Gravity, 2016, oil on linen
What is your daily routine like?
My daily routine is just like every other person's routine, I guess. The difference is that I don't follow the usual office hour (but then again, who does? Everyone seems to be doing overtime these days). Sometimes, I work till at night and sleep in a day.

What else are you passionate about, apart from painting?
Photography. I love photography, but I don't think I will ever be a photographer. I consider it just a hobby of mine.

What was the best advice you've ever been given?
Don't worry about what other people think about you or your work. Just do whatever makes you happy and fulfilled.

What do you do when you are not working?
If I'm not working, I usually spend my day out of the house, which is also my studio. Sometimes, I hang out with my friends, go to their studio to get inspired, talk about the art scene. If there is any exhibition, I will go to see new works from other artist, to support them, and meet collectors.

Fadilah Karim's solo exhibition "Secret Lies" runs from 28 April to 20 May 2016 at TAKSU gallery in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.


Photos: Fadilah Karim and TAKSU
© OFF DUTY . All rights reserved.