March 28, 2016

In position with Cindy Bishop



The fourth season of Asia's Next Top Model has arrived on our horizon, bringing with it the winds of change, no doubt led by the introduction of Cindy Bishop as its new host. Being a former titleholder of Miss Thailand World once upon a time, and not to mention the face of high-profile brands the likes of Chanel, Celine and Gucci, this Thai-American model, actress, and philanthropist is undeniably a showstopper. But if we're being completely honest, it is her grace and composure displayed on-screen that has us sold, and so damn curious. The first time she appeared on the much-awaited reality TV show three weeks ago, we knew we had to tap into some investigation work to find out what Cindy is like, off duty. Making it easier for us, the 36-year-old stunner agreed to unveil the truth to her being, and shared with us the best thing about being Thai, what collaborating with Yu Tsai and Kelly Tandiono is truly like, and the true meaning of 'activism.'

What was the one memorable moment at Miss Thailand World that still has you laughing in reverie?
The moment I was crowned! I honestly was in such complete shock that when I caught my parents' eyes in the audience, I almost mouthed to them "Oh my god!" from the stage.

What was the first thing you did after learning that you're  the new face of Asia's Next Top Model?
I can't remember, but I'm sure I screamed a little, and then hugged my husband [laughs].

What is it like, working with Yu Tsai and Kelly Tandiano?
It was so much fun! Our energy was amazing together, and we clicked right away. Especially with Yu Tsai, I felt like we've been friends forever and we even started to finish each other's sentences, which make for great chemistry on camera. In terms of experience and knowledge, I feel all three of us brought our own style and, collectively, I hope the girls were able to learn from us.

If you could interpret a characteristic of Thailand for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
The Thai smile, for sure! It is the most famous characteristic of the people of Thailand. It is how we show our emotion and how we welcome and greet almost every situation.

You live in Bangkok. What are some of the things you love most about the city?
Honestly, I can't imagine living anywhere else. Bangkok is vibrant, colorful, exciting, convenient, and full of flavor. I love that, in just a few steps, I can have a sunset drink at a gorgeous rooftop bar of a five-star hotel, go for dinner at a small, but trendy fusion eatery, followed by mango sticky rice for dessert and fresh cut flowers to take home, both from at a road side stall next door.

What do you do to relax these days?
With two children, it is far and few in between, but I'm happy if I can get a massage in. Otherwise, just being home is already enough, as I'm usually away for work. Relaxing at home on the couch with a good movie and popcorn and cuddled up with my family is the best down time for me.

What are your beauty regiments like these days, with the constant shooting of ASNTM? What are some of the beauty tricks you commit to, to take care of your well-being and appearance?
Again, with very little spare time, I prefer to keep it simple when it comes to beauty regimen.  I make sure my skin is clean and moisturized after every shoot, with a twice weekly face mask. That's it. For staying fit and in shape, I try to exercise at least three times a week. This usually means some sort of cardio, like a run around my neighborhood or on a treadmill at the gym, some weight and/ or circuit training when I have the time. I pay a lot of attention to what I eat, staying clear of fried, fatty or highly processed foods.  I drink lots of water to keep hydrated and my skin looking good.  But my vices (if you would call them that) are coffee and chocolate. I have to have both every day.

If there is a book that you cannot get out of your head, what would it be, and why is it having such an impact on your life right now?
Being a mom, most of the songs stuck in my head are from what my kids sing, hence I go around singing songs like "Have you even seen a purple polar bear?" [lLaughs]. As for books, same thing, we read a lot of books, so for the book that has the most impact on my life right now, would have to be one of the kids book as well, which is "Oh the places you'll go!" by Dr. Seuss. I love the message in the book, that says life will take your on the most amazing journeys, and yes it can be a bit crazy, but if you trust in the process and in yourself, then "there's fun to be done."

Who are your favorite designers?
I love Thai designers.  My favourite would have to be Fly Now for haute couture, Asava for ready-to-wear outfits, BOYY for a cool bag, and Issue for a more ethnic street style.

If you could reinterpret a national costume from your country, what would the costume be and how would you do it?
I would take traditional Muay Thai shorts worn by Thai boxers and make a cool hip workout/yoga line from it.

Why are you an activist? What does involving in a good cause mean to you?
I am an activist because I believe I can make a difference. If you believe strongly about a cause, you should speak up or act on it. In my case, I am in a position to reach a wider audience, so my words or actions can install a change, be it big or small. That's why I represent Fin Free Thailand, to reduce the consumption of shark fin soup; The Elephant Parade, to help conservation and rehabilitation of elephants; and Camillian Home, to help raise the standard of care for people living with disabilities and HIV.

What is the best thing about being Thai right now, and how would the world benefit from it? 
It would be the sense of community that Thai people share. As Thais, once we decide on a project or goal, have unbelievably powerful, fast and effective way to affect change. We come together, we help and inspire each other. And what the world needs know more than ever is to come back together.

Watch AsNTM every Wednesday 9pm on Star World and Star World HD (Astro Channels 711 & 722)


Photo: Fox
© OFF DUTY . All rights reserved.