Liyana Fizi bids fair to be crowned one of the hardest working musicians in her hometown, Kuala Lumpur. When not busy working on an album, or promoting one, she's often putting her corporate communications background to good use doing public relations. Fizi's career in music started out in 2005, when she fronted three-piece band Estrella. In 2009, she decided to set out on her own, and by 2011, released and self-published a debut solo album titled Between The Lines, which is distributed by Soundscape Records in Malaysia and Singapore (the album is also released in Japan, and can be found in Tower Records stores). Coming out of a year-long sabbatical from the music scene last year, Fizi reveals that she is now finally working on her follow-up release. We catch up with the charming Malaysian chanteuse to chat about her favorites, from Korea to roti canai.
You travel a lot for work. What has been your fave destination, so far?
Apart from Malaysia, my favorite destination for music has been Korea. I played at the Jarasum Festival in 2013, and it was such an unforgettable experience. Beautiful venue, perfect cool-sunny weather, with the huge 20k audience sitting on the grass wrapped in blankets and having picnics over the span of 3 days. I loved it, and hope to go back one day. Tips for Jarasum Fest? Dress warmly, and be prepared to dance! In between acts, the audience would be asked to stand up and do a cute dance together, to warm up.
Do you have a beauty routine that you follow?
Where do you hang out in Kuala Lumpur? Can you recommend some of the your best places to drink, eat, shop and possibly hear some good music?
When you're not working, how do you unwind?
I love indulging in solitude. It's pretty awesome, and it re-energizes me. When I'm off duty, yes you will most likely find me at home on my laptop watching movies, or trying out self-pampering DIY home spa things on YouTube. Or if I feel like being out, I like visiting places like Amcorp Mall to leisurely browse on my own. I also like spending a lot of time checking out products in Guardian or Watsons or in a bookstore. The whole idea is about spending quality 'me-time,' that is how I chill out.
What do you usually wear on your off days?
I would be in comfy clothes like T-shirts plus shorts. I'm not fussy about brands, so I don't have a fixed shopping place actually.
My beauty routine is pretty basic: cleanse, tone, moisturize. To keep my skin clear, I would use makeup only when it's really necessary. It helps when I go bare-faced to let my skin breathe, it makes a big difference for me. I can't live without SunPlay sunscreen, Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist, and Hada Labo's Hydrating Lotion. Keeping my skin protected from the sun is the not-so-secret secret.
In Kuala Lumpur, my friends and I would gravitate towards Bangsar or Changkat Bukit Bintang for a catch up session over ice cream, dinner, coffee or a fun weekend out. For music, I would recommend dropping by No Black Tie for great music; it's nestled in the Changkat area.
My favorite place to eat in KL is along Jalan Semarak. It's a little roti canai place called Valentine, which serves the fluffiest, softest and yummiest roti in the world. Please go and try it.
Lastly, can you fill us in on your upcoming projects?
I will be performing at the Kota Kinabalu Jazz Festival this July 25. And aside from working on the album, which I hope to release end of the year, I will also be releasing a music video for my single 'You Know' in the next few weeks. So am pretty excited about that.
Photo: Afnan Omar
Photo: Afnan Omar
